It is a headache caused by the stimulation of nerve endings as a result of the expansion of one branch or several branches of migraine carotid artery. It is a neurological disease that is frequently encountered today. It is a throbbing type of headache with a long-term recurrence and unilateral tendency.
The exact cause of migraine disease is not yet known. Although it has been focused on the blood vessels in the brain and changes in chemicals that transmit electrical nerve impulses the exact cause has not been identified. It occurs more frequently in young individuals and women than in the pediatric group and male individuals. Genetic predisposition is one of the most important factors affecting migraine. Alcohol use, excessive or frequent consumption of chocolate, frequent consumption of certain foods such as nuts, increase in coffee consumption, excessive tea consumption, frequent consumption of caffeine-containing soft drinks, use of alcoholic beverages, having too much or less than normal sleep time, excessively bright lights Exposure, having a stressful lifestyle, hypoxia development (oxygen deficiency), menstruation occurrence, hypertension formation, use of birth control pills and many other factors are triggering migraine attacks.
Migraine Symptoms and Findings
Some individuals experience an aura period that can last between 10 and 30 minutes before migraine pain begins. The cause of the aura period occurring is not fully known. In the Aura period, visual changes such as certain bright light flashes, the formation of pulsating, colorful zigzag lines, blind spots or partial / complete visual loss on one side can be observed. There may also be tingling, numbness or dizziness in the arms and legs in the aura process.
- Pains that occur in moderate to severe or severe one site occur.
- Movement-sensitive pain occurrences are observed.
- Nausea may appear,
- Depending on the situation, some individuals may experience vomiting,
- Anorexia may occur,
- Light sensitivities and sound sensibilities occur,
- Although it varies from person to person, odor sensitivity can be observed in some individuals,
- Flight of bright colors and voids in the Field of Sight of Individuals,
- Speech disorders can be observed in some individuals,
- Paresthesias may occur in the hands and around the mouth.
Migraine Diagnostic Methods
- It is provided to take the anamnesis of the patient.
- Physical and neurological examination is performed.
- Various radiological examinations are used. (Computed tomography / Magnetic Resonance etc.)
- Required reviews are made by requesting EEG.
- Various laboratory tests are requested.
- The actual diagnosis is made according to the symptoms and signs indicated by the patient. Other radiological and laboratory examinations are for the possibility and treatment of diseases causing migraine.
Individuals are primarily treated with medical treatment. Patients are made conscious to stay away from the factors that trigger migraine attacks. Individuals and their relatives are informed that during the onset of migraine attacks, noiseless, light is as little as possible, and a calm environment should be set as much as possible. It is recommended to stay away from stress in their daily lives. If individuals have a noisy family life, it is recommended that they be kept away from this situation as much as possible by informing their relatives.
NOTE: The content is for information purposes only, and diagnosis and treatment should never be applied by looking at this information only.